Planning a trip? Or maybe you just want to make sure you’re ready for a spontaneous getaway? Need to apply for or renew your Canadian passport?
Nipissing-Timiskaming MP Anthony Rota is hosting a passport clinic in North Bay to help. Think of it as a one-stop opportunity for all your passport application needs.
Members of Rota’s staff will be on hand to answer any questions you may have and check over your paperwork. They also will send off the applications for processing.
The passport clinic will be held March 7 from 3 to 7 p.m., at the Northgate Shopping Centre community kiosk (near the parking garage entrance).
Applicants are asked to bring their completed application and all supporting documents (see Things to Bring checklist below). Go to www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/forms.html to download an application form or pick one up at Rota’s constituency office, 375 Main St. West in North Bay. Applications also will be available during the clinics.
No appointment is required. Please note, Rota’s staff are unable to act as your guarantor or reference.
For more information, call 705-474-3700 in North Bay or toll-free 1-800-461-1394.
Things to bring…and other stuff
For a general passport application:
If this is your first adult passport, if your passport has been expired for more than a year or if you are changing your name, complete the general passport application. For supporting documentation, you’ll need:
• Birth certificate, or Canadian citizenship card or certificate (original only);
• A Declaration of Guarantor (Section 2 of the application). A guarantor is a Canadian citizen, 18 or older, who holds a valid Canadian adult passport and has known you for at least two years. It can be a relative.
• Photocopies (front and back) of at least one piece of government-issued ID, which includes your name, date of birth, photo, sex and signature. The photocopies must be signed and dated by your guarantor.
• Two identical passport photos taken by a commercial photographer or studio within the past six months. The date-stamped photo must be signed by your guarantor;
• Names and contact information of two “references” (cannot be a relative or your guarantor). Your references must be at least 18 years old and have known you for at least two years.
• For a change of name, a copy of a legal document that supports the change (e.g. marriage certificate, adoption order) and your current passport, if still valid.
Simplified renewal application:
If your passport will expire within a year or has been expired for less than a year, fill out a simplified renewal. For supporting documentation, you’ll need:
• Two identical passport photos (taken within the past six months);
• Your current passport;
• Names and contact information of two “references” (cannot be a relative). Your references must be at least 18 years old and have known you for a minimum of two years.
Child passport application:
If your child is under 16 years old, use a child passport application. You’ll need:
• For first-time applicants, an original copy of the child’s birth certificate with parental information, or Canadian Citizenship card or certificate;
• For subsequent applications, a birth certificate, or Canadian Citizenship card or certificate;
• Current passport, if still valid.
• A Declaration of Guarantor (Section 6 of the application). A guarantor is a Canadian citizen, 18 or older, who holds a valid Canadian adult passport and knows the parent or legal guardian who is applying on the child’s behalf. A parent who is not the applicant and meets the requirements can act as a guarantor.
• Two identical passport photos taken within the past six months. One must be date-stamped by the photographer and signed by the guarantor.
Standard passport fees:
Adult 5-year: $120
Adult 10-year: $160
Child (0-15) 5-year: $57
Credit card (fill in the “Credit Card Information” section of the application), or certified cheque or money order made payable to the Receiver General for Canada.
No personal cheques, cash or debit.
For your convenience, private photography services will be available on site. Fees apply.